Tuesday 29 November 2011

Challenge 28: I'd Rather Vote


If you were guaranteed a steadily improving standard of living (in terms of buying power, free time, quality of goods and services, etc.), would you be willing to give up your right to vote? Explain.

If I was really given that offer then it will require a lot of thinking, but from where I stand now I would have to say no. No, I am not will to give my right to vote for a guaranteed improvement in standard of living. A right to vote is something I have been waiting for since I was young child. You may think it weird for a child to hold importance to voting rights, but I did.

My right to vote is very important for me because I was born into a Chief Minister’s house. Since I was very young, I have been following my grandfather around for campaigns in different districts of Mizoram. Even though my grandfather is the politician, it involves all of us, his family members, to be equally enthusiastic and supportive. So, even though I have no qualifications, I am technically a politician, as my behavior matters a lot. Since, Mizoram is not a very large state, people talk about what we do. We always have to be fully aware of what we say and do, so that people do not spread false rumors that could potentially ruin my grandfather’s image. It is like campaigning through our actions, as people see that we are not a hypocritical family, people cast votes in favor of my grandfather. From all the travelling and campaigning that I have helped with, I know how much a vote matters. One vote can be the decision maker between the winner and the loser. Giving up my voting rights would be a direct betrayal to my family, as well as myself. If I gave up my right to vote for a better standard of living, I would be no different from corrupt officials, who shamelessly misuse their power.

My vote is very important to me, as it will be one way in which I can finally directly repay my grandfather for all his hard work and effort to make Mizoram a better place. It would show him that I care about him more than a guaranteed luxurious life. A right to vote may not be much, but to me it is more valuable than a better standard of living. I can always achieve that my own way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment